Every patient deserves to have a smile that they can be proud of. Unfortunately, many of us dislike certain cosmetic aspects of our teeth. This could be their color, their shape or that they have visible damage to them which makes them look like you don’t care for them.
If you are unhappy with the appearance of your teeth, it could be having a very detrimental impact on your self-esteem and your confidence. You may even feel that the appearance of your teeth is holding you back in life. Fortunately, there is a range of cosmetic dentistry options that you could utilize to transform them. Porcelain veneers are one of the simplest, most effective and popular cosmetic dentistry treatments.
About Porcelain Veneers
Porcelain veneers may look very fragile, but these thin, fingernail-like shells are much tougher than you might expect. Made specifically in the shape and size for the individual tooth that they are to cover, they are attached to the outer enamel of the teeth to hide any imperfections beneath them.
Porcelain veneers can be used to address a multitude of cosmetic issues, including:
- Small cracks and chips in the enamel
- Discoloration and staining
- Small gaps between teeth, since veneers can be made slightly wider than your natural tooth to hide them
- Undersized teeth, since veneers can add thickness to thin teeth, or height to a tooth that seems shorter than the others
In many instances, patients will be recommended to have a couple of single veneers to correct cosmetic issues on two teeth. However, many opt to transform the appearance of their entire smile using a complete set of veneers.
Benefits Of Porcelain Veneers
There are a number of reasons why an increasing number of patients are choosing porcelain veneers to transform their smiles. Porcelain veneers:
- Involve a minimally invasive procedure that has virtually no recovery period
- Provide a restoration that is extremely discreet
- Can add strength and durability to your natural teeth
- Transform the appearance of your smile
- Offer an additional layer of protection to your natural teeth
- Are a simple, straightforward method of improving your smile
- Are easily replaced if required
- Can transform how you feel about your teeth, giving you greater confidence in your smile
The Porcelain Veneers Process
The process to get porcelain veneers usually requires a minimum of two visits to our offices. During the first, your teeth will be prepared to receive your veneers. This is carried out using a local anesthetic as the process involves filing down some of the natural tooth enamel. This is irreversible since enamel can’t regenerate itself. The purpose of this filing it to create a surface that the veneers can effectively adhere to, and to ensure that the veneers fit well and don’t look unusually thick.
Once the enamel has been removed, we can take impressions of the teeth which are to have veneers applied. These impressions will be used to design and create your bespoke porcelain veneers. You will then be fitted with temporary veneers to wear until your final versions are being created. Around a week later, you will return to our offices to have your final veneers fitted. These will be glazed in a color to match your existing teeth so that they are as discreet as possible.
If you are considering porcelain veneers and would like more information about this popular and effective cosmetic dental treatment, contact Bonita Smiles Dentistry in Chula Vista, CA today (619) 421-9070. We would be delighted to help you rediscover your smile.